Saturday, April 25, 2009

Purple Potatoes

It amazes me how we have grown to crave instant gratification and convenience, so much that things that used to be simple everyday things, now seem extreme or even old fashioned. I found beautiful rich purple potatoes at the farmer's market on Saturday and decided to add a little color variation to my diet. When I showed up to work with my leftovers, you would have thought I was eating a live cockroach by the way people looked at my food and jumped away. Yes, yes....gawk at what nature has provided and continue to eat that frozen lean cuisine loaded with God only knows what, wrapped in plastic, and 'cooked' in its styrofoam package by a microwave. I'm sure your body definitely appreciates Sodium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Tapioca Dextrin and Thiamin Hydrochloride as opposed to my ewww-y purple potatoes and steamed brussel sprouts. Seriously, is there real food anywhere in that frozen package of yours?EASY Garlic and Rosemary Smashed Purple Potatoes
*6 medium sized potatoes
* 4 T butter, melted
* 6 garlic cloves
* EVOO
*1-2 T fresh rosemary, chopped
* salt and pepper to taste

Boil potatoes for 15 minutes.
Saute garlic in olive oil for 1-2 minutes. Add to butter, along with chopped rosemary.
When potatoes are done, drain, smash, and pour butter mixture on top.

1 comment:

gfe--gluten free easily said...

LMAO!!! "a live cockroach"! It's crazy, isn't it? People think nothing of consuming tons and tons of ingredients they can't pronounce and still wouldn't know what they were if they could!! I love those purple potatoes. Yum.

I have a strong aversion to cockroaches myself so your comment really got my attention! At one time my son made Creepy Crawler cockroaches and put them in my box of cereal (in my gluten days) ... oh, how, he loved when I squealed! Otherwise, I am fairly tolerant of most bugs ... outdoors, we do a lot of camping. LOL

Thanks so much for stopping by gfe and commenting! Now I need to check out your other posts. :-) You're a teacher (and I was one in the past), so we're already kindred souls in that regard, too. ;-)

Shirley